About this blog

My photo
Wales, United Kingdom
Documenting one couple's attempts to live a more self-sufficient life.

Tuesday 5 March 2013

Feeding the terrace

As stated in my previous post on the subject, my hugelkultur terrace needed more stuff. The level hadn't dropped very much, but enough to be noticeable if you really looked. No doubt this process will continue as everything rots down, so it'll need feeding regularly, I expect.

Over the course of a couple of months, starting in December when I thought the plants might be going dormant for the winter, I added extra stuff to the terrace. I added lots of bark from our firewood (it holds water, so if the logs have been rained on, that'll be the wettest bit), bracken, all sorts of straw and woody bits from the garden, hedge trimmings, and lots of oak leaves. The result is that my once-green terrace is again brown.


Terrace under winter mulch

I now wait anxiously to see how many of the plants make it up through that layer. I'm sure the buttercups and, unfortunately, the grass will get through; I hope the speedwell and clover make it, too. At worst, I'll have a buttercup meadow, which really isn't that bad, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't know why Facebook thinks this is the most interesting text on the page - it's not, I assure you!

If you'd like to leave a comment, but it asks you to "Comment as" a load of options that don't relate to you, choose "Name/URL". You can type in your name and leave the URL blank.

Do leave a comment (unless the main point of your comment is to advertise your business, in which case it will be deleted). It's always nice to know I'm not talking to myself ;-)